As of early September 2021, Blynk (legacy) app has closed its user registration functions, disallowing new users from registering accounts. We understand they are transitioning to the new Blynk IoT framework, but at the moment the IoT app is quite different from the legacy app and many features are missing in their new app at the moment.
In order to continue to support Blynk for existing OpenGarage users, we have replicated the Blynk server at blynk.openthings.io with custom user registration function. Below are the instructions for new OpenGarage users.
- Install the Blynk (legacy) (aka 0.1) app from the app store (NOT the IoT aka New App).
- If you have an existing account with Blynk, you are all set, just follow the standard OpenGarage instructions.
- If you don't have an existing account with Blynk but use an Android phone, the Blynk (legacy) app allows you to log in using a Facebook account. If you log in this way, you are all set, just follow the standard OpenGarage instructions.
- If you don't have an existing account with Blynk and use an iPhone, or if you don't want to log in using Facebook, etc. please follow the instructions below.
Request an account
- First, send a support ticket at support.openthings.io with your OpenGarage order number and an email you'd like to use to register a Blynk account.
- You will receive a response with a Blynk login password.
- Open Blynk (legacy) app on your phone, click 'Log In', then click the traffic-light like icon at the bottom, and select 'Custom' server, and type in blynk.openthings.io, leave the port 9443 as is. This sets your Blynk app to use our custom Blynk server. Then click OK. See screenshots below.
- Now you can use the email and login password you received to log into the app, and follow OpenGarage instructions to scan the QR code and create project.
- If you need to change your password: you can use the 'Forgot password?' function. If you use an Android phone you will receive a QR code which you can scan in the Blynk app to reset password; on iOS you will receive a reset link.
Update OpenGarage Device Settings
- You will also need to change settings on your OpenGarage device to use the custom Blynk server. To do so, open a browser and type in the IP address of your device, this should show the web UI.
- Go to 'Options' and click the 'Integration' tab, here you can copy/paste your Blynk token, then change
Blynk domain to: blynk.openthings.io
Blynk port to: 8080
- Submit the changes and finally reboot your OpenGarage. Now you are all set.